Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Organs For Sale?

In most countries it is illegal to sell your organs, but legal to donate them to the sick and dying. Should people be allowed to sell their own organs if it is what they desire? In my opinion a person should have legal rights over their own body. However, your organs are obviously an important aspect to a healthy life. I understand the reason why someone would want money for giving up something inside of their body, but I don't know if I agree with giving up your organ for the sole purpose of receiving a profit. Giving up your organs should be to benefit another human being, not your pocket book. Again though this choice is up to the individual, and probably should not be decided upon by the government. Even if the original reason for selling an organ is selfish, it would lead to benificiary elements (eventually ending up inside a sick person).
After reading the BBC news editorial by Martin Wilkinson I realized he had some pretty valid points. As I said above, I agree the benefits for the recipients would be worth it. If people did not have to wait as long on transplant lists, I am sure many lives would be saved. This unquestionably is a benefit. However, no matter how one looks at the situation, moral ethics come into play. Legalizing the organ market would create controversy. There is no way around that. People either have to decide if they have legal rights over what they do with their bodies, or if they want other people making that decision for them. Another point he brought up relates to what I discussed in the previous paragraph, the money issue. Would poor people be the most accepting of the new law because it would be a source of profit for them? Is that ethically okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment